Tuesday 26 August 2014

Kluang MoonCake (modified to Shanghai MoonCake)

Mid-Autumn festival is my most favorite Chinese festival, mainly reason must be due to Moon Cake la! HiHi

I love Moon Cake, not only love to eat them, but i also like to look at it's design, especially the cross sectional view after you cut through it. Since i didn't bake any mooncake on last year, so i promise myself i have to bake one no matter how!
After a few weeks of web browsing, I choose Sonia recipe because it was too easy to make, and it only needs FOUR ingredients which can be easily grab in your kitchen.

Skin (recipe adapted from Sonia)
  • 175g salted butter
  • 50g condensed milk
  • 255g all purpose flour (increased to 310g due to my dough was too soft&sticky)
  • 1 egg yolk
Topping 
  • milk ( beaten egg with milk is more advisable)
  • chia seed 

cream butter& condensed milk until light and fluffy.
add in egg yolk and beat until combine.
fix in the flour until become a soft and not sticky dough.
divided the dough into 16 balls (30g for each).
wrap the yam paste (20g) with pastry and shape into a ball.
brush the top with milk and sprinkle some chia seed
bake in 170 celcius 35minutes. 

Filling (recipe adapted from Lirong
  • 450g yam
  • 50g brown sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 25g unsalted butter 
steam the yam till soft.
add in brown sugar, salt and butter while it is hot.
mix well and mash into paste (I use fork). 
leave aside to cool.

Overall taste is good, the pastry skin is soft and buttery, match pretty well with the yam paste. But the sweetness is a tad too low for my liking. yey, I know my sweet level is terrible. Anyhow, moon cake suppose to be tasted SWEET right?

I'm submitting this post to Best Recipe for Everyone August Event: MoonCakes hosted by Fion from XuanHom's Mom Kitchen Diary.

and also linking to Little Thumb Up event, hosted by Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe.


4 comments:

  1. I like yam paste. I wish I can grab one from you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thea,I also had been bookmarked Sonia's recipe,but would be making after Mid-Autumn..
    Thanks for sharing this Moon Cake with Best Recipes^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thea, I like yam paste ... and not overly sweet mooncakes. Your batch of Kluang Mooncakes look very inviting :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Thea this reminds me of CNY cookies!!! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete